At Guru Nanak Sikh Primary School we believe that Physical Education and School Sport is very important for the emotional and physical health of our children. Physical Education promotes an understanding in children of how to manage their bodies within a variety of movement situations. It involves thinking, selecting and applying skills and promotes positive attitudes towards a healthy lifestyle. In turn it further develops the children’s knowledge, skills and understanding, enabling them to perform with increasing competence and confidence in a range of physical activities. Our broad and balanced curriculum provides these physical activities, such as dance, games, gymnastics, swimming and water safety, athletics and outdoor adventure activities.
All children in KS1 enjoy one indoor PE lesson and KS2 children enjoy one outdoor and one indoor PE lesson each week.
The aims of Physical Education and School Sport are:
- To enable children to develop and explore physical skills with increasing control and co-ordination.
- To encourage children to work and play with others in a range of group situations.
- To develop the way children perform skills and apply rules and conventions for different activities.
- To increase children’s ability to use what they have learnt to improve the quality and control of their performance.
- To teach children to recognise and describe how their bodies feel during exercise.
- To develop the children’s enjoyment of physical activity through creativity and imagination.
- To develop an understanding in children of how to succeed in a range of physical activities and how to evaluate their own success.